Monday 5 January 2009

(Introductory) Games for Chicks!

Hi every-one ;),
Since I've committed to speak with the perspective of a girl gamer I've thought this subject could be perfect for the first article.

Actually I do not believe there are games for boys and games for girls but it certainly is true that the world of computer and console gaming is usually more alien to girls than boys.
This is why I've decided to make a short and certainly not comprehensive list of games that can be useful to introduce girls (a girlfriend, a sister, a niece or a daughter) or woman (a mother, an aunt or just a friend) to videogames.
Of course this list is based of my experience and preferences and you'll notice I don't mention any MMO or MMORPG since it's not the kind of games I play and enjoy. While they may be a good introduction to games I won't speak about something I have not experienced myself and will rather stuck with the platform I have experience of (PC, playstation 2 & 3, XBOX360 and PSP).

What would appeal to a girl/woman? Well, certainly cute and nice things. Games that are maybe challenging in the long run but easy to get the hang of at the beginning.
No one, at least slightly interested in being introduced to games, could resist Little Big Planet, Loco Roco, Patapon, World of Goo, or the older Kuri Kuri Mix (one of the first games I played). All these games are nice, can be played by girls of any age, from 3 to 80 (I "tested" them all on my 8 years old niece successfully ;)), are pretty easy to play (don't require too much skills with the control) and have an undeniable style and appeal.
Brain Training can also be a good introductory game and a nice way to spend some time challenging each other.

What else? Ease of "use" would also play an important role for someone just starting to play games. Point and click adventures would be a great starting point especially if they have nice stories to tell. Just to mention of a few among my favourite: Still Life (I'm anxiously awaiting second chapter), Secret Files: Tunguska, Siberia I & II (all with a female main character), Runaway 1&2. Also the various Agatha Christie or Sherlock Holmes ones.

If we want to go a step further we can certainly also introduce classic (japan) RPG games, something like Odin's Sphere or maybe Eternal Sonata and certainly Final Fantasy X2.
The Sims are quite a classic and a Prince of Persia can certainly appeal a chick gamer just starting this hobby with its wonderful mood and the fighting part that is not too difficult nor prominent.
A safe bet could also be the Lego series, be it Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Star Wars or Lego Batman. Gaming is fun and not too difficult and since it's co-op it's just perfect as a start for someone that needs to "take the hang" of video games and start with some fun!


I would definitely advice against proposing Spore as a starting game (unless we're talking about kids) because that would make the girl/woman think that games are something trivial and with no real scope (and a bit boring too)!
OK, I didn't like it at all and I really believe someone completely "ignorant" about games would get a negative approach through this game.



As far as I'm concerned I like any kind of games as long as the game is well done and appealing, I have no particular bias against any genre.
It's very difficult to choose a few favourites however if I have to look back at the last few month of playing I can certainly pic a few: Little Big Planet, Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Eden, King's Bounty the Legend, Castle Crasher.

Thanks for the attention and happy gaming!
Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment